Decorative Paints Asia
We faced market challenges in China, mainly due to uncertainties created by COVID-19, which impacted consumer confidence and the real estate sector. Despite difficult market conditions, we continued to invest in innovation, including bio-based products, to lead premium market growth in core Chinese cities. Dulux expanded its geographical presence by adding more than 200 cities and over 10,000 additional paint stores. In South East and South Asia, we made solid progress on volume and value growth, mainly driven by reopening after COVID-19 and increasing the number of stores. Several new products were launched in India (Dulux SmartChoice) and Vietnam (Maxilite by Dulux), along with water-proofing products in India, Malaysia, Indonesia and Pakistan. Our Paint the Future startup challenge in India was also a success.
Our team delivered strong growth and market penetration by gaining share, as well as expanding into adjacent segments.Oscar Wezenbeek Director of Decorative Paints South East and South Asia
Other key developments
- Started construction on a new manufacturing plant in Faisalabad, Pakistan, which is scheduled to start operations in 2023
- Invested in a new production line for water-based texture paints in Shanghai, China (see Carbon emissions in own operations)
- Introduced the first United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) certified bio-based paint in both Malaysia and Singapore. Dulux Better Living Air Clean Biobased contains 22% bio-based content
- Our collaboration with Paint the Future China winner Archifiction resulted in the opening of the Dulux Naked Eye 3D Experience House in Shanghai
- Our Dulux brand was used on several landmark buildings, including Kai Tak Sports Park in Hong Kong and Taichung International Airport in Taiwan
- Launched two Dulux Experience Stores in Indonesia
- As part of Project Indradhanush, we started working with more than 500 women in rural India to promote entrepreneurship and skill building in decorative paints to help provide a sustainable source of income
- The first Dulux Living Center officially opened in Chengdu, China. The immersive brand store creates an interactive space designed to provide an extraordinary consumer shopping experience
We once again demonstrated our resilience and agility to deliver balanced and sustainable results, despite a turbulent yearMark Kwok Director of Decorative Paints North Asia
We remained on course with the construction of a new logistics hub, which is set to become the company’s largest warehousing base in China. Due to be completed by mid-2023, it’s located at our decorative paints site in Songjiang, Shanghai. The new €10 million facility – a nerve center for production, storage and transport – is equipped with a heat-insulating and light-permeable roof and features around 5,000 solar panels that can generate 1.6 million kWh of electricity annually.
Two startups – HyperReality Technologies and Fluid AI – won our Paint the Future India awards and will work with us to enhance the digital consumer experience for Dulux paints.