Decorative Paints Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA)
We delivered a very strong set of results, despite the extremely turbulent business environment. The first six months were dominated by the impact of COVID-19 in Europe, with high demand for DIY (do-it-yourself) paint. This was followed by substantial raw material shortages and price increases, which we countered with our own strong pricing actions in the second half of the year. This enabled us to continue our brand and customer support, and maintain our investments in innovation and sustainability.
2021 was a year when the agility of our team was really tested. Eventually, we delivered a very strong set of results under very turbulent and rapidly changing conditions.Jan-Piet van KesterenDirector of Decorative Paints Europe, Middle East and Africa
In March, we completed the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Industrias Titan S.A.U. (Titan Paints), strengthening our paints business and footprint in Spain to become one of the market references in the region. The transaction included three production facilities and seven logistics and service centers for decorative paints, including one of the most modern manufacturing plants for water-based paints in Europe, located near Barcelona. The business shares our commitment to sustainable product innovation, with much of its portfolio having received recognition for environmental performance.
Other key developments
- Dulux launched its new Heritage and Simply Refresh paint ranges in the UK. The Heritage collection was inspired by classic shades from the history of British architecture and design, while Simply Refresh is a one-coat range which makes decorating as easy and as fast as possible
- Flexa EasyCare was launched in the Netherlands. The washable interior paint range is tough, durable and keeps walls stain-free for longer
- Our Dulux brand celebrated its 90th anniversary, having been first introduced in the UK back in 1931
- We teamed up with one of the world’s most colorful sporting events by becoming Official Supplier to the 2021 Tour de France (pictured above). It was an opportunity to engage with new and existing audiences and customers, with both organizations sharing proud and exciting histories
- Reached the pilot phase for a new circular exterior filler through a partnership with Dutch company Alucha, one of the winners of our inaugural Paint the Future startup challenge (see case study)
- Our Dulux Professional range was rolled out in Poland, where Dulux is already a leading brand in the consumer segment
- Expanded our direct retailer channel in Turkey – which has grown 50% in the last two years – by adding more small-scale retail stores
- Set up a direct-to-consumer home delivery service in France and the Netherlands by introducing new “click and paint” fulfillment centers