Our Decorative Paints business supplies a full range of interior and exterior decoration and protection products for both the professional and do-it-yourself (DIY) markets, including paints, lacquers and varnishes, as well as products for surface preparation (pre-deco products).
Market and business characteristics
The size of the global market for decorative paints is around €30 billion.
Interior and exterior wall paints and trim paints (lacquers) for consumers and professionals.
Woodcare and specialty products
- Lacquers and varnishes for wood protection and decoration
- Specialty coatings for metal, concrete and other critical building materials.
Fillers, wall treatments, sealants and putties for consumers and professionals.
- Tile and floor adhesives and floor leveling compounds used in the building and renovation industry
- Supplied for professional workers such as tile, floor and parquet layers, interior decorators and painters
- Direct to medium-sized enterprises, wholesalers, specialized retailers.
Our end-users can broadly be segmented into homeowners (either DIY or BIY – buy it yourself), professional painters serving homeowners and commercial contractors. They are served through a variety of outlets ranging from big box chains such as The Home Depot, Walmart, B&Q and Leroy Merlin (serving mainly homeowners) to independent dealers (serving both homeowners and professionals) and company-owned stores focused on serving professionals.
Global market drivers and developments
- Growing populations and GDP growth
- Activity of residential and commercial new-build and home sales
- Global increase in importance of home and interior decoration
- Rise of middle class in high growth markets
- Legislative/regulatory pressures on environmental and health issues (VOC, REACH) driving innovation
- Increasing importance of large-scale outlets
- Growth of importance of women as decision-makers
- Increasing importance of internet.
Drivers for buying decision
- Strong brands that attract customers
- Innovation that drives demand and basket spend
- Category management capability.
- Product quality, consistency and innovation
- Product availability and service
- Technical and business support
- Strong brands supporting loyalty.
- Dulux Weathershield Keep Cool – heat-reflective exterior paint with energy-saving properties
- Dulux All Round Guard – absorbs harmful elements from the air to create a safer home environment
- New Glidden paint – reformulated and now includes less VOCs and better hide, durability and washability.
Support professional painters with tailor-made products and services
- Sikkens object analysis, design support and marketing programs for painters
- The Dulux Trade Environmental Wash System and DDC (Dulux Decorator Centers) Paint Can Recycling – professional paint waste management systems
- Herbol Façade Certification Program
- Glidden SpeedWall – highly efficient interior wall paint with superior properties for the professional painter.
- Dulux Trade Ecosure – water-based, high performance professional paint
- Sikkens Rubbol XD – VOC-reduced, ultra durable professional trimpaint
- The Freshaire Choice – zero-VOC consumer wall paint
- Dulux Light & Space – highly light reflective, energy-saving wall paint.