In addition to internal activity to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions, we support transparent disclosure and business initiatives calling for urgent inter-governmental action. We are signatories of the UN Global Compact “Caring for Climate” platform, as well as the Prince of Wales’ Corporate Leaders Group on Climate Change Bali (2007) and Poznan (2008) Communiqués urging action towards an international UN Climate Change treaty at the 2009 Copenhagen conference. Our carbon management and performance is reported through the Carbon Disclosure Project.
Early in 2008, we embarked on a coordinated program to develop a policy which would be relevant for our diverse business portfolio. The Industrial Chemicals business led the way. They developed a framework for measuring the carbon footprint of products and facilities, based on the international Greenhouse Gas Protocol and lifecycle thinking, along with a rigorous process to identify and quantify improvement opportunities (see ). The framework was tested with the World Resources Institute and several Dutch and Swedish NGOs.
In total, six representative business units have tested this framework for their product portfolio. In parallel, the AkzoNobel Sourcing department worked with suppliers to measure the carbon footprint of 18 key raw materials.
The outcome of the projects provides a strong, credible basis for the carbon policy and improvement targets now being developed – which will help to drive carbon costs and emissions from our products.
- Estimated emissions from raw materials are nearly three times greater than the emissions from our production and associated energy
- There could be significant opportunities to reduce customer application emissions, especially in the Coatings businesses.
Setting ambitions and targets
Following the pilots, AkzoNobel is developing targets and ambitions in the following areas:
- Specific reduction target for our cradle-to-gate carbon footprint per ton of product by 2015
- Longer term ambition level for cradle-to-gate carbon footprint reduction per ton of product by 2020. This will be achieved through a mix of innovation, energy efficiency and fuel mix improvements
- Ambition level to control absolute scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions.
Our objective to increase eco-premium solutions to 30 percent of sales will measure carbon-efficient solutions to customers – helping to reduce the downstream footprint.